ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Title open-should I go for it?
View Single Post

MrsM

Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You will work with the kids needing extra help. Each school can make it look differently, but I think the majority have pull-out for 30 minutes a day, every day. There will be paperwork to complete, I do this every fall and every spring. You may administer tests to find your kids, or you may simply have to collect test scores. You will probably set your own schedule by talking with the teachers. Kids are not supposed to be missing any curriculum instruction in the classroom when they are gone to see you. There are restrictions on what you can use your supply money for. Basically, if it's something you would repair if it doesn't work, you can't buy it. (That's how it was explained to me.) You will need to plan cooperatively with all the classroom teachers, and share information as to what concepts need work, or what is being taught in the classroom that you can support with more practice or explanation. Usually you are not responsible for grades at all, but I send a progress report home with my Title I Reading kids. That's a form someone here on PT shared. Check out posts by LaVerne, she's finishing her first or second year (time flies, I can't remember) as a Title I teacher after being in the classroom many years. She enjoyed the change! I've never taught in the classroom, only student teaching and 8 years of subbing. After 10 years in Title I, I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Look at your state department of education website for technical information about the program. I can usually find it by searching for "administration manual federal program" or just "Title I". Good luck with your decision!
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net