ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Title open-should I go for it?
View Single Post

LaVerne

Here I am...Sorry so late..
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Karoline,
Sorry I am so late in answering your question...had a bit of a surgery and I have been recouperating.

Yes, as Mrs. M said, I taught mostly 5th grade for over 20 years before 2 years ago, I became the Title Reading teacher for grades 3-5. I am really enjoying NOT having certain things to deal with that a regular ed teacher has. I will try to list the pros and cons for you that I have had...just my opinion...each case is different.
1. NO recess problems or behavior issues to deal with...maybe 2 in 2 years. No 'Do you have your lunch money?' 'Do you have your field trip form?' unless it is my field trip..none of the day to day issues that can drag you down.
2. Report card time for me is very different...I also send home 'reports' but not with tons and tons of grades on them. I send home monthly newsletters with parenting tips and what we have been doing in my Reading Room. My 'report' card lets the parents know skills we have been doing and new fluency assessments.
3. I like dealing with just 5-6 kids or less at a time...no herds of kids to take places. My groups are 25 minutes each, because of the amount of students I serve. There really could be 2 of me because I have had a waiting list each year.
4. There is paperwork, but nothing NOTHING NOTHING like I had in the regular ed room. No daily stacks of papers to correct. We do many many things orally or on the wipe off board. What I do on paper is special, and the kids know it. I have the kids use a spiral notebook and everything is answered in there that I want to refer to for assessment purposes.
5. I do miss not having entire units with the kids...making projects from book units, etc. Your creativity is somewhat stiffled in Title because of the needs of the kids. They need so much more repetition to remember vocabulary, etc. I try to come up with new and creative ways to get them to read at home. That helps to fulfill this missing aspect for me.
6. I love to teach reading and love to read about teaching reading. So I am always looking on the internet or in new resource books for creative ways to monitor comprehension. So I don't get boring as well as boring to the kids.
7. I set up my own daily schedule. I send out a weekly communication sheet with my teachers and I plan my students' lessons around what they are reading in their classrooms, as well as what I think they need to work on...oral fluency, for example. I have my students 4 days a week and the 5th day is for prep. It has worked out for me.
8. At times, I miss the companionship of a grade level of teachers working together for a field trip, etc. But my door is always open and I am finding I am becoming the place to come and talk and listen so that is a good thing too.

So far it has been a good change for me. But, I couldn't imagine doing it if you weren't a self starter. I believe that my experience teaching in a regular ed room has been a BIG plus, not only in knowing what the kids need, but in the relationship I have with the teachers...they know I have been in their shoes. You have to be able to get along with them and be flexible. Their classroom schedule comes before whatever you are doing.

I hope this helps. PM me and we can talk some more.

LaVerne
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net