ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - So the resource officer in the Florida
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 06-06-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think it is dangerous to look back at events so closely and decided whether a person's actions and movements are "right or wrong" and I see it happening so much any more with the increase of available video from different angles and places. When you are in a situation, you don't usually have the benefit of being able to study video footage from a variety of locations, and interviews about what others saw or heard and what not. You have milliseconds to make choices and decisions off of what you see and hear in the preceding milliseconds from the vantage point of your own position.

We do this over and over anymore with police actions, teacher actions, military actions, medical personnel, and some parent actions. How do you think your parenting would look if we went back and played every response you ever made to a situation and analyzed the different responses you could have made and measured them against the one you made? Many of our responses aren't going to be the best one we could have chosen. However, you make the best decision you can in the minute, and you hope for the best.

Also, wasn't there a point where the reaction to these situations was changed? I know we were originally taught to hide and evade. Now we are being taught to fight back. I am pretty sure there was a shift in the way the police were training to respond to them, too. Not being trained in that way, I don't know the ins and outs. I also would hate to sit in judgment of someone else's response. I am almost 100% sure no one working in a school seriously thinks they are ever going to have to respond to a mass school shooting, even if they are trained. It just isn't something anyone thinks likely. You don't take the job because you are gung ho on running into a barrage of flying bullets by yourself with no backup. You aren't paid enough, for one thing.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net