ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Scheduled time for 1st gr. centers?
View Single Post

MrsM79

Old 02-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I teach second and this is what I do. When I am teaching guided reading groups, the other students have things they need to do. For example, if you use a reading series that has practice pages, like we do, you can have that be their first job. There are two main "workstations" that I use in my classroom. The first is AR, Accelerated Reading. I don't know if your school has this program or not, but it gives the students practice with independent reading, and then the log onto the computer and take a comprehension quiz. The next station that I use is the writing station. Here I have different writing materials, paper, pencils, stencils, flip prompts, etc. I also have a different poster hanging for each month with thematic writing prompts on them. Other things that I have used for centers are: word tiles to create sentences, puzzles, drawing books, sticker story, poetry stations, listening station, etc. I have a chart up in my room, set up by our three reading groups. It's write on/wipe off, and for each day under each group, if there is something specific that I want them to work on, I just write it in under their group for that day. The biggest thing that works for me is that most of what they are doing is take it to your seat, or minimal group work during this time. They may spread out on the rug together, but they could all be doing different activities so the noise level never gets too loud. I have two boys in my class that are ADHD unmedicated, so the more structure the better!!! I don't know if this helps, but I hope so!!
MrsM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net