ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Scheduled time for 1st gr. centers?
View Single Post

AddieJ

centers are for everyone
Old 02-02-2008, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's up to the teacher and his/her scheduling needs whether students do assigned centers or self choosen centers BUT I think all children should have the opportunity to do centers - not just the early finishers. It is a good activity for those early finishers while they are waiting but then another time of day should be set aside for everyone to do centers so the kids who need extra time to finish don't feel left out. Centers should support & enrich classroom learning so centers will benefit those slow workers too.

I have a basket of activities for my early birds to pick from when they are done with the required work. They can choose from flashcards, matching word to picture cards, write & wipe boards (number practice, alphabet practice, word family practice, etc.), books, stringing beads on shoe strings, sight word rings, unifix cubes & pattern cards to copy, and other small flip books. Kids also have the option to go to the classroom library.
(We do assigned centers in the morning & free choice time at the end of the day - I teach kindergarten.)
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net