ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Scheduled time for 1st gr. centers?
View Single Post

carroll

centers
Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach first and I also have a set time for centers. I do them three days a week for about 50 minutes. That is the time I take guided reading groups. It is also a time when the sped teacher comes in and takes her group. I have a work board that has my four groups(22 kids divided heterogenously) across the top. They each have a must do and two choices after that. The choices go down the board. That way the next day we do centers I just move the group cards across one. There is never new information in centers. It is a way for children to practice the skills independently. I have math centers as well as literacy centers. They range from buddy reading, reading around the room and writing down ee words they can find, to putting a known poem in their poem book, illustrating it and reading it to two friends. They each have a color coded folder to keep their work in. Great management tool. Rarely do I have children who finish everything. But.. when I do they can then read from their book bags.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net