ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - No counselor at our small school
View Single Post

eeza

no school counselor
Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught at an elementary, the counselor was there part time at first and then she wasn't because it was a high income school and she was needed more at lower income schools. Like only lower income students have problems!

I work at a high school now and we have four counselors for about 1700 students. We even have mental health clinicians since the counselors do more with scheduling, scholarships, etc. The sad part is is that we could use more clinicians. Then there is the whole thing of whether or not we should be providing mental health services on that level because we're a school. That is a whole different discussion!

I think your superintendent is naive to think that students only have day-to-day problems. You need someone on site to at least be there for crisis intervention. What if a kid is suicidal? Do you want a teacher to make the decision whether or not send this kid to the hospital?

I hope your superintendent wisens up or he is replaced at some point with someone who is more aware of the mental health issues in the schools.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net