ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - decline or accept
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 09-07-2018, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First of all, are you trying to eventually get a gen ed teaching job or a sped teaching job? What kind of classroom is this (severe needs, mild needs, etc.)?

IMO, the pros of taking the para position would be having a steady schedule/going to the same place every day and having a "place to belong" with coworkers you can really get to know. As long as you do well in the position, it also gives you an opportunity to get updated references and letters of rec. I've always wondered how subs get things like that. I'm also assuming the insurance benefit is a significant monetary advantage, unless you have insurance already through the 2nd job.

The cons really depend on what type of classroom it is, but I'll just say that IMO aides get stuck with the worst tasks for very little pay. If you're in a severe needs room, you'll be changing diapers. If it's a more mild/moderate setting, you'll likely be spending most of your time with the most difficult kids who have severe behaviors, and you'll have to push in with them in their gen ed classes. My previous para always said that she felt like she was "babysitting," and TBH I get that. You'll also most likely have kids that will try to (or succeed in) hitting/kicking/biting you. I would ask very detailed questions about what your day will look like if I were you.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net