ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Restorative discipline
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 04-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've had more success with it with my current admin, because they ALSO do consequences, especially for severe behaviors. They recognize that for certain incidents, a "make it right" simply isn't appropriate.

Previous admin only did restorative practices and the kids figured out very quickly that there were no consequences and misbehavior led to 1:1 time with adults- often "fun" adults like the counselors who let them play games and gave them snacks during/after these "restorative conversations." Like anything else, it worked for minor behaviors- the stuff any system would work for. It did nothing for severe behaviors, and once the more "tier 2" kids started seeing all the perks "tier 3" behavior kids were getting, they escalated their behaviors so they could get that stuff too!

Yes, suspensions went way down. That didn't mean the behaviors stopped. It meant they stopped giving suspensions. With my current admin, any destruction or violence is an automatic suspension, and at the end of the suspension the student may not come back in until parents have met with the admin and come up with a plan as to how they're going to support the issues at home.

Don't get me wrong, we still deal with issues, but it is night and day from the previous admin.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net