ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New teacher sinking fast - HELP PLEASE!
View Single Post

mrsb12247

I know how you feel!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 110 minutes of Science to 7th graders, so I feel your pain. I usually structure my class as follows:

10-15 minutes review/preview (heavy on the review of last class, light on the preview of info for this class)
40 minutes- lesson (lecture/reading/notes/video, etc...)
40 minutes: immediate application (whatever we just learned, we do something with it: vocab posters, skits, mini-lab, writing response, review game, etc...)
10-15 minutes: review/preview again, (this time, heavy on the preview and how this lesson relates to what we will do next time) and homework explanation.

This pattern seems to work well for my kids. During the application there is always something where they need to talk to a neighbor/work with a partner/work in a small group/move around. The key to success with this much time is to treat it like 3 short classes instead of one long one...I find that kids this age can't sustain the attention of a lesson for more than about 40 minutes before they should have their hands in it.
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net