ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post
texas parent

texas parent

parent of a fifth grader
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

My son is a fifth grader and I am very disappointed in the reading and writing taking place in his classroom. He was writing wonderful stories, poems, etc. in fourth grade. He is now writing disconnected sentences trying to get his writing to fit into the "program" that his teacher wants. I, and other parents, see our children regressing not progressing. Worse yet, the children are not engaged in the work. My son even complains that he doesn't get to write anymore! Then the teacher is complaining that he isn't performing like she wants to (nor is anyone else in the class). As the parents have tried to point out some of the areas that aren't working for the kids she starts dropping names like "Lucy Calkin" to support her continued use of things that are obviously not working. The adminstration likes all of her references to "research" and "documentation" of her methods and many of the parents now feel overwhelmed. This is a relatively inexperienced teacher that if this is NOT working for any of the kids in the class something needs to change. Thus, I was interested in hearing the variety of comments from experienced teachers. If anyone know of some research or other data that we parents could use to suggest this method isn't always effective, that would be extremely helpful.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net