ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post
clc5

clc5

in response to Calkins not working
Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

It is your job to make this model effective. Mini-lessons should NOT be unrelated. If issues should arise in student work, then it is time for a mini lesson. I like using 6+1 traits to guide a lot of my mini-lessons. These lessons should be authentic and so addressing something that you find in student's work makes sense and is the most productive use of your time. Mini-lessons can also be small group so the students you're addressing are the ones most in need of the information. Whole group lessons can be referred to later on, even if it doesn't pertain to everyone at that exact time as many students will be at a different place in the process. It sounds as though you were not properly trained, or perhaps, trained in an idealistic way and are finding it frustrating. Many people I've talked to have had similar experiences with writer's workshop, as it doesn't work as "prescribed" for all. There are, no doubt, problems with the workshop, but what you, and every other teacher who wants to be successful needs to do is adapt the system to a form that works with your curriculum, and most importantly the needs of your students. Also, reading as a writer is very important. This is part of the modeling you mentioned. . .choosing a book to share as a read aloud before a mini-lesson to introduce/model different types of writing and using different literature as touchstone texts fits in to the "teach, model, practice" formula.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net