ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post

whitfpa

One Size Does Not Fit All
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I am a firm believer that not any one PROGRAM will ever answer or meet the needs of every teacher/student. If that were so the inventor of that PROGRAM would be a millionaire and every teacher in the world would be using it. Lucy is one of those teachers who discovered a method of delivery that worked for her, she packaged and sold it (Yeah for her) and parts of it works for other teachers. I think that it is best to remember that as a teacher you take what works for you from the program and mix it with what woks for you. It takes courage to stand on what you know as a teacher. I know, my principal is sold on SRA Directed Reading, which I hate. I voiced my concerns, backed it with research, and then closed my door and taught children how to read using what I knew would work. Yes, I incorporated some of the instruction from SRA (so that I could not be targeted for insubordination) and guess what my students scored higher than students who were taught only using SRA directed instruction. To the lady who said, look at yourself, if the students are failing it is your fault. Ma'am that is not always true, there are teachers who are forced to teach curriculums, lock and stock, that do not work. It is sad when politicians, principals, and people who create PROGRAMS have the last say in how students are taught. What is even sadder is that these EXPERTS may have been in the classroom at one time, but many of them have been out of the classroom for many years and are relying on information gleaned from books and research. When will we learn that there is a big difference between book knowledge and field knowledge. Teachers are in the field, PROGRAM makers are not. Having said all of that, I am not against programs, when they are used as a resource that teachers can use.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net