ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post
ojeme

ojeme

esl teacher
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Okay, I praise the workshop model for READING and WRITING!!! Someone explain to me how I should use this with Rigby's "On Our Way to English" which is a complete ESL program, for my 1st graders. They are beginners, and intermediates who don't understand what they are supposed to say or do in their sharing time, or independent work. Meanwhile, I have all this content to teach, which I cannot do in the 7 minute- tidbit of "good readers think about what they are reading????" I am trying to teach the child about differerent cultures in the US, the compass, recognizing states and capitals, teaching about the five senses, my community, animals and their habitats etc. How do I make any meaningfrul sense to my kids in 7 minutes and tell them to go do independent work? Someone help me, I am desperate to know how to integrate these two things. I have about 45 minutes with my class, everyday, and I am expected to teach them all the content, plus prepare them for the NYSESLAT through this method! Personally, I think it will work if one is having a reading session or a writing session. But when I have to cover so much in so little time, how do I effetcively manage this exploratory discovery learning, with kids who are strugling with the alphabet, most of whom cannot read a book on their own! Help!!!!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net