ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post
KSK

KSK

LC and WW
Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The LC version of WW was introduced this year at my school for all of our teachers to incorporate into their instruction. And I have to say that I really love it.

I think that when a lot of ppl first look at WW, they are very overwhelmed. I know I was. Luckily, I had some friends who loved it and inspired me to really give it a chance. And it is new. You have to toally revolutionize how you teach writing. But that doesn't mean it's wrong to do so.

I've read posts about newer teachers loving it and more experienced teachers hating it and this makes sense to me, too. Remember when you were a first year teacher? Everything was new. Everything was overwhelming. And you made A LOT of mistakes. Anyone who is new to this program is going to encounter frustrations. I remember being told in college that it would take about 5 years before I would really know what I was doing and that was about right. The same can be said for LCWW. It's new. You have to learn something entirely new. It's going to take time to feel comfortable and really know what you're doing. The language talks about teaching children the "craft" of writing, but we need to remember that teaching is a craft, too. It's not going to be perfect for you straight out of the box, but if you read with an open mind, there will be statements and expereinces that ring true for you. Use what works, adapt what doesn't. What impresses me most is that you meet kids where they are and help them take the next step. It is not one size fits all education. And I do realize that this makes our jobs as teacher more difficult. But again, that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Having said all of that.... I'm very curious to see if there is any research that backs up the LCWW method. I know that there's plenty on more traditional approaches, but I haven't been able to find any on WW yet. Does anyone know of some?

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net