ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post
Lynnderella

Lynnderella

Sariana
Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Lucy, pompous in the 90's?? Ha I attended in '07 and that is still a good word to describe her. However, I still like her work. This month I have been teaching lessons from the essay book and the kids' work is amazing. There has always been the issue of students having difficulty learning (and using) correct grammar and mechanics, even before Calkins. What I notice from 25 years of teaching is that we are now expecting students to use these skills in real writing situations, not filling out multiple choice worksheets. My students could complete a worksheet with success, but had a hard time applying the same knowledge in a real writing situation. Now, I know without a doubt which students haven't internalized these kinds of skills; it's staring me in the face when I pick up a notebook. They can't fake that. Did I like it 10 years ago when most of my students were making great grades in English? You bet I did. But that does not mean my students were getting it then and are not getting it now. No one writing program has all the answers.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net