ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lucy Calkins workshop - not working!
View Single Post
Joe43

Joe43

Joe43
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

In my elementary/middle school in Brooklyn, NY, we were also told this year to implement the Lucy Calkin's model. The only issue the teachers have is that we are expected to learn, implement and be masters of a program without the proper training. Our literacy coaches do very little to offer us training both in house or out of building. When we request to attend workshops, we are told that there is no money. So how can we possibly learn the workshop? The thing that really is rubbing many of the teachers the wrong way is that we are now being rated by our ability to adhere to this program. I have nothing against the Calkin's program, it seems to have some effective techniques and strategies, but it would have been more logical to expect teachers to follow this model after a reasonable amount of training. As I said earlier, we have had zilch, nada offered. We have one teacher's satisfactory rating this year in danger only because she was not effectively trained to follow this program. Instead of worrying about cakes, coffee and struddle for the PTA meetings, our leader would be wise to use some money to train the very staff who teach every child in our school.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net