ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - State testing pressure
View Single Post

stressgirl37

State testing pressure
Old 06-16-2016, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just finished my 20th year teaching. I currently teach third grade and really love the age and grade. I am struggling with, however, the pressure that is put on us to teach to the CAASPP test, teach testing strategies, keyboarding skills, computer skills, and even some of the third grade common core standards that I (and others) feel are not developmentally appropriate for 8 and 9 year olds. Our district and my principal put a lot of pressure on the test and scores. Our scores are compared to others in the district and state averages. For the last three years we have not even had adopted ELA materials for common core. We've been piece-mealing materials from here and there and trying new programs because a neighboring schools had betters scores and maybe it was because of this or that program. I really feel conflicted. I want to do my best job for my students and I also don't want to look like a slacker among my colleagues. The pressure put on us and the kids is NOT good! I have at least 6 more years to teach and I don't see things improving, but really can't afford to change careers. Any advice on how to keep my sanity and still be a good teacher?

stressgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net