ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Test review
Thread: Test review
View Single Post

lisa53

Old 08-12-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One game I have done is to divide students into groups of 2-4. Give each group a different color set of post it notes.

You ask review questions (be sure to cover the essential points on the test). Each group agrees on an answer, writes it on a post it note, and delivers it to you.

When all answers are in, you put the correct post its along the bottom of the white board. You are going to make a bar graph, with a bar of each color, one per group. Toss out any incorrect answers. I make a big show of reading the answers and identifying the correct ones, explaining why erroneous answers are wrong.

Keep asking questions and posting the correct ones. Every student can see at a glance which team has the highest score. You can ask any sort of question, including math problems or even lab practicum questions. At the end of the period, the team with the high score gets a small prize (at your discretion...I usually gave out candy).

If I had 73 minutes, I would start by providing some information about the format of the test and the content covered. What knowledge, concepts, and skills must the student demonstrate on the test? Then I would have students create a study sheet...either on their own from scratch, or with scaffolding, such as a list of vocabulary, examples of problem types, and so on. I would let them use their study sheets for the game. That provides an immediate incentive for them to review the material.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net