ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - RAndom questions
View Single Post

slg

Fluency questions
Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you talking about math or reading? For reading I do use the data for grades. I will choose two passages towards the last nine weeks of each quarter and to a timed/accuracy count, also taking into consideration each student's comprehension of the passage.
Regarding math fact fluency, I realize I have done about the same thing although I am moving away from the timed test this year. I will try to meet with each student and take note of the strategies used. It is hard to get away from the fast = fluency mentality, but being able to use strategies effectively is more important and shows depth of understanding.

At the beginning of the year I do read the reading tests out loud but I pull back from that quickly, the first quarter. After that, for math and reading tests I will project them and read through the questions before handing it out. For reading, I stop reading them out loud because if a student can read a grade level story, he/she should be able to read the test. I will always assist a student struggling with a word.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net