ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Just getting started
View Single Post

Mrs. T.

Centers
Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I teach kindergarten too...I have a writing center set up...I have all kinds of stencils, cool pencils, pens, markers, crayons. The students write letters to their friends in class, and place them in the mail box on the writing table (actual mailbox...$4 I think?). I also used index cards and clip art to create a picture dictionary that they use to label their letters. I just laminate the cards and attach them together with a metal ring. I also have an index card with the child's picture and their name written on it. The students can then find their friend and write their name on the letter. Eventually I display sentences for them to write, and they use their word wall words to create sentences. I have a mail carrier vest and mail bag and each students gets a turn delivering the mail. I also have clip boards hanging, and they write the room with these.
My reading center consists of books and magazines, bean bag chairs, and a large colorful carpet. When I do themes I may add a tent, or blow-up boat to the reading center. I also have a basket with cheap sunglasses with the lenses popped out. The students love reading with these, and during science experiments, they are their observation glasses.
One thing my students loved last year also, was a dice game. They would each roll a die, and the one with the higher number of dots won. They played this all the time...not even keeping track...just enjoying it!
Pattern links are also good for creating patterns...my kids LOVE floor puzzles! Walmart sometimes has them on sale.
Hope this helps!

Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net