ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Teaching in Rural North Carolina
View Single Post

ctj132

I'm from upstate NY too.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am from Corning, NY and have been to Binghamton many times to watch my son wrestle when he was in high school. I have been in NC for six years now and live along the coast near Wilmington and teach in Jacksonville. I found I really had to make a conscious effort not to say we did it this way at my other school. I found fellow teachers welcoming and open. As others have said there is no union so some of the things we are asked to do at first were hard to adjust to after teaching in a state with a strong teachers' union. I love the school and people I work with and would never return to NY. As with any school in any state, you will have a combination of parents who are supportive of school and others who are not. Most of the families in my school are connected to the military so that presents other concerns that you need to beaware of in the classroom. 4 of my students had parents deployed in Iraq this year. One the most interesting things I found so far is that when there are only a few snow flurries the whole school goes outside to enjoy them. They very seldom have even flurries. We love the weather and enjoy the beach as well as traveling to the mountains. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have and help you in anyway I can.
ctj132 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net