ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Brand New, Never subbed or taught before.
View Single Post

mkesub

Old 08-08-2017, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Broomrider. I would suggest grades 2-4. I'd say hold off on kindergarteners until they, and you, have had a couple weeks of school experience. They can be so energetic, and have very short attention spans. Even with clear and practiced routines I find K classes energy-draining. Without them it can get chaotic! There will be crying. There will most likely be some student who hurts another; it's what they do. So then you'd have to deal with that. There can also be kids who don't get to the bathroom on time. And ones who run around. And scream. And at least 15 who will all want to share their entire life story with you. At the same time.

I'd also recommend high school. I've subbed HS classes for years now, and have found them to be super easy. I've never had to teach anything I couldn't figure out. It's almost always plans like: have them continue working on projects, pass out study guides for them to work on, give them a test, study hall, or work on things assigned for them on chromebooks. Generally if there are behavior issues it is something along the lines of the students not doing their work or being too loud. I've never yet had HS bathroom issues or crying. I've rarely had major issues like fighting, and when I have I call the office and somebody comes to take care of it.

Good luck!! And be sure to come on here and vent if you need to!!
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net