ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Math curriculum for special ed students
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 09-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've used Math-U-See. It's basically just workbooks with videos that go along with them. There are some manipulatives included, especially for the youngest kids. Personally, I had very few kids that got anything out of the videos and we just mostly used the workbooks and I taught them as we went along. If you have unlimited copies, you could buy one workbook (I remember them being like $40 each, but I could be off) and copy the pages.

It's extremely repetitive. Students will practice the same concept over and over again. They will learn the concepts that are being taught in the books. I thought it would be super boring, but my kids actually really liked them and would even ask at the beginning of class when they'd be getting their books out. I think they just liked them because they felt successful with it. It's also nice because you can have six kids in front of you doing six different things...it's really easy to have kids work at their own pace.

One con is that it's not a comprehensive program at all. It basically teaches computation, which I know our general education curriculum is really going totally away from. If you're responsible for hitting all the state standards, this program definitely won't be good enough. The other thing is that since it's basically a workbook system, if you ever get observed in math you are simply not going to do well on that observation, at least based on the stuff that's on our observation rubrics. My previous P never observed in math (she always chose reading) and never did walkthroughs, so it wasn't a big deal.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net