ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Genre Study
Thread: Genre Study
View Single Post

1956BD

Genres at a Glance
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is an information sheet with a list of genres and their definitions. I would read a title for each genre and have students take a few notes. These would be picture books that fit the genres. That way you would explain a genre a day. Students could record the genre, title and a brief summary. Discuss the characteristics of each genre with them.

Then after the ten day introduction of genres, you would read a short excerpt from each of those titles (in a different order that originally read). Have students identify the book and genre. Then discuss each genre again.I would allow them to use their notes.

Then read a book or excerpt, that they have not heard before and ask them to identify the genre. You may need to cover the book cover, as it may give the answer away with the title.

Any time you read something for the rest of the year they need to identify the genre. This takes a great deal of practice. Then you will have fun discussions about books like Magic School Bus series. Is it fantasy? Or is it informational? Oh, its both! That makes a whole new genre. I would avoid these kinds of books for a while, until they have the regular genres straight in their minds.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Genre Definitions.doc (32.5 KB, 592 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net