ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Punishment for cracked screen?
View Single Post

Jenny

Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just a thought here - I know this will be very unpopular. But I believe its a conversation we should be having. Sorry, its long and a bit ranty, but something that drives me crazy. And I'm not saying anyone is wrong - just that we do need to think about the idea if we truly believe 1:1 is the way to go.

If a kid screws up a piece of paper do we say "oh no, no more paper for you! You can't be trusted with paper. Here is an old school slate for you to use."
If we have committed to delivering the curriculum electronically, then I feel like complete removal of devices is a huge step. Unfortunately a device is a lot more expensive than a piece of paper, but we do need to ask ourselves the question - is this the best way to deliver the curriculum, and if so, can I block a child from accessing the curriculum in the way that is best?
If using a device is not the best way to access the curriculum, then why is anyone doing it? I could not sell that to the school leaders in my school - they would start to question why we even need them in the first place if I was removing access to them. And funding would dry up very fast!

Yes, there need to be consequences - I would never say we should not have some kind of consequence when negligent behaviour causes damage. What is your consequence if a child spills water on an expensive text book? What happens if they lose a library book? Where are the breakages happening? I just feel like our punishment needs to be comparable to the actions. Kids are careless, so we need have some way to limit the chances of damages happening. It is the cost of repairs/replacements for devices that makes it seem like a bigger thing, but in the end trusting them with a text book is kind of comparable to trusting them with a device. I need to trust that you will take care of this, and return it in a condition comparable to how it was when I gave it to you. Tawaki, I like the first 3 steps of you school's consequences.

I worry for the day when insurance for kid devices catches up with how much wear and tear they receive! Our excess is already higher than full replacement of a chrome book.

Added - I teach 8 and 9 year olds. Our devices stay at school. The only screen that has ever cracked in our school, over the last 6 years of having ipads in classes, was dropped by a teacher in the playground. Little kids are pretty protective of their devices so maybe they are more responsible than Middle School kids as its more exciting and new for them? Or maybe its just that I don't let them take them home.

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net