ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Summertime Memories: Water Fun
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 AM

We went to the pool most days every summer and spent long days there. When our parents bought family swim passes, they were given patches that had to be sewn directly onto our suits (and we had to show them at the gate when we went in). If you bought a new suit, you had to get the patch off and re-sew it onto the new suit. We usually had one suit per summer.

I had swimming lessons that always started early in the morning when it was still chilly. During one swimming lesson, we were learning to go off the high dive. I am scared of heights and I was terrified of the high dive! I got up there, and was crying and really upset and wanted to go down, but my instructor pushed me off. I did what basically amounted to a belly flop! Youch! I have not been on a high dive since. I was about 7 or 8.

We also had to wear swim caps if our hair was longer than shoulder length. I always had very short hair, but I remember watching my sister try to get that cap on and off. Baby powder was used! She rarely went swimming.

That pool is now an adaptive playground, because my hometown built a huge waterpark type of setting instead and tore out both community pools (the other pool became a splash pad).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net