ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 4th to K
Thread: 4th to K
View Single Post

Zia

Old 05-11-2019, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Even though there is no standardized testing, I think there is more pressure on th K teachers than anyone else.
It completely depends where you teach. My Kinders have more testing than any other grade level. And, the super fun part, other than the not-reliable but mandated online testing, most of it is performance tasks which is a 1:1 setting for the most part. I can do some of it in small group, but most of it is 1:1.

I love K! The kids come in pretty feral in August and the first few weeks are devoted to domesticating them. Seeing how far they've come as people and as students is exhilarating.

Patience, yes, being 100% on during every second of student contact (there is no downtime with littles), finding them hilarious and charming are definitely required traits! Classroom management is vital in all classrooms, but in K? It is absolutely crucial. Parents are typically more involved in K than any other grade, so it's not just students you have to build relationships with, but also parents. Some need a lot of hand holding!

K is also what I call the first line of defense. When a kiddo has an issue, you are likely to be the first one to identify it. You are the person to break the news to parents, "Something ain't right here," and that can be very difficult.

Kinders are so excited about EVERYTHING! It's a pro AND a con! But their enthusiasm is contagious. I have zero plans to ever leave K. It's a weird world full of boogers, tattling, loose teeth, and eagerly watching seeds sprout and caterpillars form a chrysalis.

I wish you luck whatever you decide.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net