ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How do I stop students from saying everything is "gay"
View Single Post

Tawaki

Ugh..
Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My best friend is 56 and used gay and retard all.the.damn.time.

You haven't lived until every eye is on you because he said (loudly) "This show is so gay, and that actor is a retard." I wanted to have the floor swallow me up.

I went totally ham on him. "You don't use the word, "Colored, boy or the n word" to describe people. Guess what? Gay and retard just joined that list. I'm sorry you didn't get the memo. It has to stop NOW. People judge you terribly if you use those words, and there are other words to use anyway."

He justified it just like your kids. The world is too PC. Too full of snowflakes. Blah blah blah. At least he doesn't do it around me anymore.

My DD schools have come down like a ton of molten lava if someone fires up either of those words. Last year on a class trip, one charmer yelled "That is so gay." Everyone turned around and instantly snuffed it out. So much so, my DD said the kid was in tears. (9th graders)

I find kids who use those words have parents, grandparents (probably this) or an above 40 age relative. I so rarely hear it used in that context, when it happens it is really jarring. Where my one SIL lives, I hear it more. It's a place stuck in the 1980s-1990s. Rural. Anyone who could got the heck out of there. It's not diverse at all. They don't generally care about any issues other than their little town. You hear someone called f-gget, gay or retard for stupid. It's beyond cringeworthy. I've mentioned it very very mildly in polite conversation, but I'm another one of the no fun PC police to them.

I think there are resources out there for elementary/middle schoolers on why those are considered hate words. In the adult world, you can lose your job over them if it's the wrong place wrong time.

I believe Autism Speaks has information about why one doesn't use the word retard anymore.

Don't quit fighting the good fight on this.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net