ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - spelling homework?
View Single Post

flash123

reading & spelling homework?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school district has a policy of 10 min. of homework x the grade. 2nd grade should have no more than 20 min. of homework each night. We are not restricted to this, but we are encouraged to follow the 10 mi. x the grade guide.

I really want my students to be reading each night, working on learning their spelling words by Friday, and spending time practicing basic math facts. My goal is to put together routine weekly homework that is meaningful and does not require a great deal of time to grade/check over on my part.

READING: For those of you who require nightly reading how much time to you require and do you have parents sign off on the reading? Do you require rereading at home of the weekly (basal) story that you are reading in class or do you leave the reading choice up to the child/family?

MATH: Do you assign regular fact practice at home? How many x per week do you assign this?

SPELLING: I am looking for fun ways that students can practice at home as needed. Obviously, some students require more practice at home than others to learn their spelling words. I fear that if I just say know your words by Friday that reluctant spellers and homework resisters will put this one off until Thursday night.

I’m sorry for such a long post, but I really want to make homework meaningful, hold them accountable and help them establish the responsibility and routine with homework. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Last edited by flash123; 09-06-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: added additonal information
flash123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net