ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Elementary Drama
View Single Post

Emooke

Drama Club
Old 06-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was a Teacher Assistant for 3 years, now I am a 4th grade teacher. My last year being a TA I started a Drama Club for 4th and 5th graders. At first I had an informational meeting and hoped for 10 kids. Fifty-two kids came and fifty stayed. I didn't have any audtions. I split the kids into two groups, and met with 25 of them Tuesdays and 25 of them Thursdays. The fall semester we did a lot of voice and movement exercises and drama games. Around the end of October I put them into pairs or groups and gave them each a choice of two scenes to choose from. We presented them in December on two different nights for the two different groups.

Before the Christmas break I found a free play online that sounded really interesting. So I put up sign-up sheets in each of the 4th and 5th grade classrooms and had kids sign up for eith acting, assistant director, costumes, tech crew. Then I assigned kids to roles. Assistant director basically helped during the actual show. Tech crew helped move props. I sent home flyers asking who could sew, and got back several responses. One mother took charge, brought the fabric, made patters, did measurements, calculated costume costs. SHe was amazing.

That was my most favorite year working in a school. Next year I will be starting a Drama Club at my new school, but it may have to be just for 5th graders because we have a lot more kids. Throughout that year I found a lot of good resources online. If you need any more help, just let me know!
Emooke is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net