ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - welcome and roll call!
View Single Post

cardnialteach

Hello and welcome
Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was a classroom teacher for 12 years. I thought I would be in the classroom forever. At the beginning of the year I was thinking I needed a change. In my mind I was thinking grade level, school counseling was not even on my list. Mid year my superintendent and principal approached me and asked if I would be interested in the school counseling position. I knew this would require me to go back to school again to get another Master's degree. My administration was awesome and let me supply them with what my goal was if I transitioned. They also allowed me days to attend classes without docking them from my sick leave. This is now my 7 year and I love what I do. People always ask which I like more....there really is no way to compare. I miss having one class a year, but love that I now know all students in our school from K-5 (really K-8 because I work at the Middle School level too.) I don't miss grading and parent teacher conferences, but have my own parent contacts I make.

A couple years ago my state adopted SEC standards, we are implementing a new state assessment, and we have a brand new Commissioner of Education. He came right out and said the role of school counselors will change in the classroom. This is great because sometimes I don't get the support of my teachers. Some don't like to allow me time for individual counseling time, while others see a benefit from being proactive instead of reactive.

I am excited to have this new board and get opinions from others in similar roles as myself. It really is different than being a classroom teacher, although I still consider myself a teacher.

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net