ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - support for support staff
View Single Post

cardnialteach

Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have very supportive administration from my superintendent and both principals. I work with students in grades K-8th grade. My K-5 principal has been my principal since I first started in education. He is the one that asked me to consider the school counselor position, not that he was trying to get me out of the classroom. He asks and listens to my opinions, even if he doesn't always agree with what I have to say, and does not hold any hard feelings about it either. He knows if he doesn't want to hear the truth in my opinion he better not ask. My superintendent is the same way. I am comfortable enough to go in and tell him exactly what I am feeling and thinking. We are in the process of changing a few things due to new state ideals and he is coming to me for suggestions and support. Now, my Middle School experience has been very different. When I started we were in turmoil time in the school. The principal was fired and basically we were on the beginning of a big budget downfall, due to the state legislatures not our district. Our super "played" principal for three years. We then had a former PE teacher who got his admin degree stepped up. I taught with this guy for several years and when he went back to school even said out loud to a co teacher, "I would hate for him to be my administrator." He didn't have a clue and in my opinion was using this job as a stepping stone in his career. He would try to bully confidential information from me and would often make deals to parents about situations. He didn't last long and moved on. Last year our High School principal got demoted to Middle School. He flat told us he didn't want to be there. It was a rough year and he too would make deals with parents. This year we have yet another new principal, my 4th in seven years. I think he is here to stay and will be good once he can shed a few other titles from his resume. He will ask my opinion and really tries to do right by our students. So far things are great, but we are only 1/4 way through the year. Time will tell.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net