ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - ADHD defense
Thread: ADHD defense
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ugh, that would be so frustrating! I haven't had that experience much at all. Sounds like someone probably told one of them that once (a parent? a teacher?) and they've all caught on!

I probably wouldn't necessarily go to the "not related to aggressive/rude behavior" to parents, because honestly they could make a valid argument that impulsivity could cause them to say and do things like that without thinking. And there is some validity to that, imo. However (and this is a big "however"), if they are ONLY impulsive when swearing and being aggressive, then their claim doesn't hold much water. Don't get me wrong- I don't think aggressive and rudeness are ADHD symptoms, but I can see parents arguing the point because of impulsivity.

I would approach it as impulsivity being one symptom of ADHD, but it doesn't always mean rude and aggressive behaviors, and there are ways to help kids self-manage their behaviors. If swearing and being rude are issues, then maybe they need a behavior intervention plan to address those issues. They are certainly not behaviors conducive to success in life, so I would think parents would be on board with changing that.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net