ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Overdiagnosis of ADHD?
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sometimes the reports I've read about AHDH diagnoses (from "professionals" have made me want to barf. 10 minutes with the kid, parent interview, TA DA! Diagnosis! Maybe it's better in some other places, but i have had really bad experiences. Or pediatricians who listen to mom talk about behaviors and say "let's just put them on meds and see what happens..." without ever making a diagnosis. HUH??

I strongly believe that a lot of the "inattention" and "difficulty with distractions" that are noticed in class are a combination of difficult/undesired tasks (in a world filled with immediate gratification and video games) along with poor sleep habits. After all, get too little sleep for several days/weeks/months/years on end, and you'll look inattentive, lethargic/hyperactive, be easily distracted, etc. And I have read a few reports on how video games are changing the wiring of the brain (but I don't remember enough to say whether it was quality research or what the exact findings were). I'm not saying ADHD doesn't exit -- it definitely does-- but I think it's relatively easy to get that diagnosis in many areas.

Also, consider this disturbing fact: psychologists/psychiatrists cannot bill insurance without a diagnostic code. So if they want to get paid by insurance (assuming parent isn't paying out of pocket), they must diagnosis the child with SOMETHING. This may not be universally true (please correct me if someone knows differently), but I've been working in clinical settings for the past few years now, and that's been a predominant them in at least 3 different clinical settings. No diagnosis? Insurance won't pay. So I've watched clinicians try to come up with a fitting diagnosis, even if they have to "stretch" to make it happen. It makes me appreciate school psych practice SO much more in some ways- I think we have more freedom NOT to find a disability (although sometimes it makes parents and/or teachers upset).

Anyway, I started as a teacher in 1993 and a school psych in 1999 and worked for a bit before taking several years off with my kids. I returned to education in 2006 (as a teacher again briefly then again as a school psych). There were WAY more kids diagnosed with ADHD after I came back from my "mommy" break. WAY more.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net