ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What do social skills groups look like in your school?
View Single Post

eeza

social skills groups
Old 11-22-2015, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Great question! I am at the secondary level and the mod-severe SDC class and the counseling-and-socially-enriched class do social skills within the classroom. I do pull a group from the counseling-and-socially-enriched class once a week to do social skills since their need is so great. All of the other classrooms, gen ed or SPED, don't really do social skills. We have other group counseling offered to all students through our counseling center but not for social skills specifically.

Last year my SLP and I offered social skills for ASD students for one semester who aren't in the two programs I mentioned above. We plan on doing it again this year. We just take the ASD weaknesses and plan lessons around them. We know that it's hard to work on social skills when they are not in a self-contained room.

At the elemetnary level, I feel that social skills can be done in the classroom since the kids are in a self-contained room. A social skills lessons plan is just a basic 5 step lesson plan that any teacher who has been through a credential program knows about. The only difference is the objective is a social skill rather than an academic skill. I taught social skills when I did elementary school.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net