ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What do social skills groups look like in your school?
View Single Post

cardnialteach

Elementary and Middle School
Old 11-23-2015, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do teach social skills with my weekly classroom visits in K-5 classrooms. I do not feel that this is something that should fall solely on any school counselor. I think my lessons should be springboards to classroom follow through during the week. In the Middle School, I don't get to see classes as a whole unless we are working on Individual Learning Plans, 5 year plans, with our 8th graders. I use to see my 6th graders but the teacher is not very easy to work with and doesn't give up much time for me to see them. I also don't do many small groups because teachers don't like to let students out of class for groups. I do have a few students I see individually because behaviors have gotten so out of control in the room, they are now wanting help. I think a little more proactive attention would be more beneficial instead of reactive.

I do think that in the very near future, both buildings I work in will be realigning and will create core values for our building and character education and social skills will be built into what they must cover so many times a week. This will become like any other special like PE or Music. Just my thought based on things that have happened this year, new SECD standards our state adopted, and a new vision from our Commissioner of Education.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net