ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What do you know about the Mental Health in Schools
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

What do you know about the Mental Health in Schools
Old 12-04-2015, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Act of 2013? Have your schools changed services because of that Act? Do you have licensed mental health workers on your campus?

Before 2013, we had licensed psychologists in our district on payroll to work with kids. They really only worked with serious mental health issues. I'm totally for the idea of servicing mental health in the schools in a more aggressive way. I think the Act was originally proposed as a response to school shootings and other aggressive acts from students who needed mental health support they weren't getting outside of school settings.

Today, we were having a discussion about where the line is with serving kids with severe mental health issues in the school setting. I think we can't really teach kids before we meet their mental health needs, but I also wonder what the school day really should look like for kids with really serious needs. Missing core classes? Missing electives they might actually enjoy and excel at? How do we balance educational needs with mental health needs? A whole different school schedule? Just thoughts I'm pondering on a Friday evening!

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net