ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What do you know about the Mental Health in Schools
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

Old 12-05-2015, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to strongly feel that way, too. But I think more and more, I've seen that kids with serious mental health issues *aren't* getting them met outside of school, no matter how much we recommend or try to help them find resources. Having spend a little time working in the clinical world now, I realize how many kids aren't receiving services because of lack of parental resources or follow-through. It scares me that these kids are going through life without getting help, so I think it makes sense to reach them at the one place most of them attend (school).

I do hate the idea of school being "responsible" for the mental health of their students, but I like the idea of services being offered at school. But I do believe those services should be provided by qualified individuals (e.g., not state certified school psychs or counselors, but licensed professionals who specialize in the more intense and chronic mental health issues). I don't like the idea of schools shouldering the "blame" should things go wrong.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net