ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How to leave sub notes about students with mental health issue in Gen
View Single Post

teachingtall

FBA? BIP? Behavior Plan?
Old 02-15-2016, 01:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why does the parent refuse to do any kind of testing/behavior plan? Are parents aware of their child's needs?

If you are concerned with child find, why doesn't the districts psych/social worker/sped teacher come in and observe the child? They should be giving you ideas on what to do and helping collect data. Is admin aware of the situation? What are their thoughts?

For your sub, definitely layout steps and do's/dont's. Do you have have a buddy teacher the kiddo could go to for transitions? Teacher B comes and gets the kiddo to go to lunch? Also do you know of activities that the kiddo enjoys? Could you offer times during the day where he (or the entire class) get to do that special activity if behavior is in check? As for the data you while you are gone, I would not have the sub collecting that data, they will have their hands full as it is.

I agree with eeza, draft a quick, heres the down and dirty and student x. If this happens do this, if this happens do this. Here is my buddy room info.

And as a classroom teacher myself, I truly hate to say this, but would it be the worst thing in the world for this kiddo to be pressured and set off? Often times kiddos come into my room (self-contained ED), after the parents have been called day in day out to come pick up their child or to deal with a major behavior issue. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN FOR EVERY CHILD, but with the details you have provided it sounds like the parents need to see that, in order for their child to be successful, he may need additional support.

As a teacher, I feel awful when I see a kid that needs obvious support but the parents don't see anything as being wrong. I had that happen this year with a student who was not even in my class and I was supporting my gened teacher and my special education program manage go in a very heated convo with the team and asked pointed questions as to what I was doing there.

You are not in this alone, it sounds like you have a lot of good things going for this student, but it sounds like this kiddo really needs some help outside of your classroom.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net