ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How to leave sub notes about students with mental health issue in Gen
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
If you are concerned with child find, why doesn't the districts psych/social worker/sped teacher come in and observe the child? They should be giving you ideas on what to do and helping collect data. Is admin aware of the situation? What are their thoughts?
They have come in to observe but only barely. My site only has a psych 1 half day a week and only 1 sped teacher who has her hands more than full. In fact she is scheduled with students even through lunch and right up to the dismissal bell. The sped teacher has the most pull and she is the only reason they are even listening to me about needing to do something immediately. At first they were just saying they would retain him- I said that would not help, and in fact since he is learning and making progress academically he would just be bored and that would make things worse- I told the sped teacher this and they finally listened.

We are just starting this week the new plan to have him picked up when he won't stop tantrumming or refuses to leave the room for recess or lunch. Since it is new I'm extra worried about my sub.

Also no buddy teacher support since my whole grade level will be in the same trainings. And none of the other teachers will touch him with a ten foot pole, they just sympathetically pat me on the back when he is having a wowzer of a week.

They told me to just keep the data for the behaviorist, who has never been out since mom is refusing such services.

It was hard to make many plans at his last iep since mom refused to come to it. We rescheduled to see if she would come given more notice and different time, but she still refused to come. We think she is refusing because of some deep seeded denial. I am actually his second k teacher since he had TK last year (in my state kids who turn 5 from August first to December 1 get 2 years of kinder) and he was, according to documents we received even worse last year at his old school and reverted to wearing diapers to school. When pushed to do the behavioral/mental health assessment last year mom refused it and then moved him to our school this year and disclosed none of this or even that there was any behavioral/emotional concerns. She didnt even bother to meet with me on the first day. She just dropped him off at the curb on the first day.

He is in speech but refuses to participate and has fits with the speech teacher to the point that we cannot finish his triennial since he won't participate in testing. It's been a sticky situation especially since he is so hit or miss that we just never know what will set him off. One day he is great and nothing bothers him, the next everything bothers him and he won't even participate in his favorite subject. One day he hates everyone and everyone is "mean" to him and he refuses to walk or speak for hours, then 3 hours later he is laughing and having a ball with the other kids. Just the other day he was sobbing and kicking the tables, he refused to speak (his favorite control grab) so I told him to point to what was bothering him he started walking around then stopped and shook his head. Then I asked do you know what is bothering you? He shook his head and sobbed harder. Sometimes the crying just goes on and on for an hour or more and it is loud. I just hope his parents will allow him to get the help he obviously needs.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net