ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Happy for my own mental health!
View Single Post

teachingtall

A teachers point of view...
Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I completely agree with your sentiment on kids and how they all have some crazy f-uped (language is need for some of the kids I work with in my ED program).

But I have to say that as a teacher you are expected to have perfect mental health 99.99% of the time. There was a situation last year where a student of mine disappeared. I spent a good hour looking for him after asking for help, and it took that hour to get help from admin. The district I was in had a security team and I was not allowed to call them, even in the case of a missing child. My admin was new and they didn't want to look bad. In a rush, I walked out a door that had a window in that was already damaged, and I pushed a little to hard and I shattered the window.

Once the child was found, I was not allowed to do anything but walk to my classroom to get my bag and leave. I received any email from my admin that basically said that they were trying to determine the cost of the window and if I was responsible for replacing it. Not once that day, or in the 40 days after that did the admin show concern or care for what happened. Losing a child is a terrible feeling and its an even worse feeling when you are ignored when pleading for help.

After that situation, I almost walked out and did not return to my classroom or that school. I was already non-renewed (basically in my special education classroom that focused on emotional needs of students, i was told my kids are not getting enough academics and that I didn't mainstream the students enough.), and i felt that for my sanity I needed out of that building. Sadly, I could not do that and fought with some nasty demons for the rest of the school year. In the end, I moved back home to AZ, and I found my passion for teaching again.

I would love to see something for teachers where they actually have to use their time off and not be penalized or not given a bonus for taking days off.

I want to see teachers treated as humans again.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net