ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Have you guys seen this? What do you think?
View Single Post

eeza

mental health bills
Old 05-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not heard about this! It's nice to know that schools are realizing that mental health can play a role in a child's day which can affect their academics.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the school taking on too much. First of all, I think schools as academic places for learning are lacking as it is. Now they will be forced to take on another duty? Unless it is completely funded, I'm skeptical that it will be done well.

The second thing is that mental health is a spectrum and I don't want to see the schools being responsible for medical issues. The school nurse does screenings and some medication administration. Anything more serious and she refers to a physician. I think the extent of mental health services should should be similar to that of the school nurse. Screenings and minor interventions and that's it. Anything else should be referred out. The article made it sound like therapists would be available.

But then again, I'm a skeptic in general, so maybe it will be fine!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net