ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Have you guys seen this? What do you think?
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

Old 05-14-2016, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Funny about character education. I remember when I started teaching in 1993 and our school got into character ed shortly thereafter. I hated it at the time. I felt like teaching character was a parent's job and my job was teaching academics. But there are too few parents who are teaching the kind of character that makes for a positive society, so I guess it's ok to have it in the schools.

Quote:
I would like to see every school in the country have 1FTE Social Worker and a .5FTE School Psych, that do more than assessment. Have them working with groups and just working with kids.
I've only worked in one district with school social workers, and we had two for about 15 schools. We had 2.5 school psychs for the same number of schools. At one point, I was responsible for 5 of those schools, one a 1100-kid middle school and one a 1100- kid elementary school All they wanted us to do was assessment, but I managed to fit other things in there along with it. School psychs are trained in so much more than assessment, and I hate when they are seen and used as "district testers." Our social workers (both MSW) were basically set up to home visit truant students and visit families to do the Vineland adaptive assessments. Such a waste of their time when they had so much more to offer.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net