ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - The busses left my kids...
View Single Post

Lakeside

bus that left
Old 02-19-2020, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That is ridiculous!

I don't think it can be totally on the driver to know exactly how many students they will have each day (- because of absent kids, pick-ups notes, and the like, I'm sure he or she never has them all.) But that why schools have systems in place!!

In mine, we don't actually take our own students to each individual bus. We group them inside the school, and a pair of teachers walk out each bus line as one group. (Another team with walkie-talkies keeps everything organized.)

But at the very least, if your system works for you otherwise, the drivers should have a list of each class from which they have one or more students, and check off each one as the teacher brings them to the bus. It wouldn't be difficult at all.

And why are the bus drivers not in radio contact with their dispatcher, so they can be told to come back if an error is made?

And (what possibly bothers me most of all) - it sounds like the kids were very close the moving bus!! Why is there no adult signaling the bus drivers that they are clear to pull out into the road?

Your school has a lot of work to do, and I hope the parents who were inconvenienced by this make sure admin gets something in place!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net