ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Suggestions for Teacher Personal Device
View Single Post

Jenny

Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly I would buy the device that suits your needs now. Every school is different and will provide different resources, some will have projectors, some will have tvs, some will have nothing. I have an apple tv in my classroom, so apple devices are useful to me, and an android tablet would not work at all. In one of our classrooms we have a smart tv that can screenshare any kind of device (so jealous of that one). However in another school you might need to be more familiar with windows devices. If you are buying something now then buy something that you will use now. What do you want a device for? How will you use it?

As a technology leader I am well aware of the life span of devices too. An average teacher laptop is ready to be replace after 3 years. Mine is ready to be thrown under a bus after 2 - 2 1/2 years. It all depends on the teacher and how much use the device gets. Mine is in constant heavy use. Other teachers will find their laptop still useable after 5 years. Our iPads have an approximate lifespan of 3 years before they need to be upgraded. Desktop computers last a lot longer. Technology moves so quickly and the way that we use it today will be ancient history in as little as 3 years - If you don't actually need a device now, then I suggest you wait and get the latest tech that suits your needs when you are in the classroom.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net