ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - "flexiblish" seating/ no assigned seats
View Single Post

Mshope

Assigned
Old 08-19-2018, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always have assigned seats at the start of the year. At first, I also assign groups and really do not let them move all that much. As I get to know the classes, I might let them move depending on if they can handle it. I would never let my middle school students pick their own seats until I know they could handle it. If you do let them pick their seats and they can't handle it, they get mad at YOU for moving them. It's just not worth the hassle to me.

After I get to know my classes, I might make some seating changes. However, at times I might move everyone depending on how it is going. Flexible seating is not an option for me due to space. Also, the thought of it gives me hives. We have a few teachers doing it and it seems like it only works with more mature classes. I think the general rule is "you can have the choice as long as you can handle it."

I would try to group up the quieter kids with nicer more outgoing kids. It is not always going to work, but it might!

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net