ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - recess: Walk in or Line-up?
View Single Post

Fenwick

Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Key is supervision with proximity. There is a direct relationship between how students behave and their physical distance from the teacher. Consider: If you are a student bent on goofing off and, as you enter the hallway, you see six teachers standing outside their rooms what are the odds you will try to run by all six teachers or mess around with a friend? How about if you look down the hall and see only one teacher or maybe two, spaced several rooms apart?

I recall subbing at a school some time back. The school was remarkable. When students came in from recess and went to lunch there were no teachers in the halls. Students walked and chatted quietly. No grabbing, loud voices or games. Just kids hustling to class or lunch in orderly fashion without supervision. At lunch in the staff room I asked several teachers, “Okay, I’ve been to a lot of schools. Transitions are a zoo. How do you do it?” Their reply, “Well, you weren’t here the first three weeks of school when we were training the students. Every teacher, whether assigned duty or not, stood in halls during passing periods like recess, lunch and dismissal. At any time there was a teacher within a few feet of any student. Yes, we had other teaching duties to perform like planning instruction but made this, discipline, our first priority. After the first three weeks we backed off to every other day for two weeks. Then we spot checked, all voluntary, a couple times a week, before and after holidays and specials like assemblies. What you are seeing is the result of six weeks of proactive discipline.”

What this school was doing is what most teachers agree to when asked is it better to be “proactive” or “reactive”. They put in their time up front, the first six weeks, so they could concentrate on instruction the rest of they year. Opposite are teachers who agree proactive is the way to go, but in the moment of truth, choose instruction over discipline - “It takes too much time, and I have too much to teach.” Irony is if one was to put a stopwatch on the number of off-task minutes, stopping lessons to constantly deal with discipline and/or spend five minutes every transition for student to “settle in”, over the course of a school year far more minutes are lost due to reteaching rules each and every day until June.

Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net