ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Looking for advice on a racist incident
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just a warning-I have had parent who were very big on diversity/culturally responsive teaching/social justice/equity so be warned-WE NO LONGER USE MELTING POT. The image/mentality it evokes can be one of assimilation and the need to lose ones own cultural identity to create homogeneity/a white washed identity to belong so be careful.

I had a similar but tamer situation a few years ago in my third grade class. We did a close read of The Story of Ruby Bridges-I read it aloud to the class as a first read then they did a second read with ideas, connections, comments and questions in small groups (I made photo copies of my book) then we did whole class discussion about the power of words, tolerance and the right of all kids to come to school and feel safe and respected.

I also showed This Video (not in its entirety its kind of long and a bit much for third graders- I click around to the important parts, stopped and discussed as a class and restarted in the next important spot) and we made a classroom deceleration of human rights-it included right to be free from discrimination- and then finally, after the teaching had sunk in we had a restorative meeting between the students. Funnily enough the one who made the racist comment and the victim ended up being good friends the rest of the year and spending time at each others houses and everything. Kids need to be taught.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 02-20-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net