ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Time saving tips
View Single Post

tia

time savers
Old 07-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. i typed up an "Important Info" packet for substitutes. It has info on fire drills, who is a helper, who to watch and why (those last 2 i have to change yearly), how our behavior management--schoolwide--system works, etc.

2. every year i think i'm going to make a daily plan template that explains attendance and lunch count/breakfast, etc...but i usually just end up copy/paste from the first sub plan i leave....maybe i'll follow through on this this year--the thing is---these things usually take a bit of time on the front end...but help later in the year.

3. i usually make a class list and paste to manilla envelope and laminate--use this to collect signed papers and $ for field trips, etc--can check off who has brought, who brought extra, etc. and then wipe clean for next time. (I just add new kids with perm marker)

4. planning--something that worked great one year (not sure why i didn't do last year...): i even wrote it in at the end of my day in my planbook....i picked one day to plan and prep the next week for spelling (this was monday since it was easy to plan for) so when i left on monday, i was ready to go for spelling the next week. tuesday i planned the following week of science (i only have 2 periods of science a week, so couldn't really get "behind"). wednesday was reading; thursday was language--so i knew where they were with writing projects; and friday was math since that was the biggest variable. so i wasn't overwhelmed with lots to plan/prep at once and i was already for the next week and didn't have to use weekend time.

5. grading....sigh...i should give no advice here....but here is some anyway:
don't feel you have to grade everything---but you SHOULD give them feedback on everything valuable (and if it's not valuable, why give it)--this can come in the form of having kids correct their own work--you (or volunteers) go over answers and why--have class discussion--they'll get more out of this than your checking and starring on the paper.

rubrics are great for writing--then you can focus on one thing at a time
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net